Places Of Interest Premiere August 2016
Places of Interest/Sehenswürdigkeiten
is a project based around the importance we attach to actual places. It is also a project based around our preconceptions about places we have never been to and what we might expect to find there.
Starting with an initial list of people I know, have worked with or whose work I like, working in the fields of Performance, Art or Music; I am writing to people around the world, asking them to do the following 3 things for me:
– to choose a place that has a special meaning to them. This could be for very personal reasons, or because of political or historical significance.
– search online and find a photograph of that place, taken by somebody else.
– record a description of the photograph. The description should include the name of the country it is in, but not the name of the place or the reason it was chosen. In short, an impartial description of the photograph without opinion.
I will in turn then send the recorded description to an artist living in a different country who will receive a fee to paint a picture entirely based on the recorded description.
The artist will not know the significance of the place and will only know that they are painting for example somewhere in Argentina or northern India. I am also asking those proposing places if they could also suggest an artist we might contact to paint somebody else's description.
Currently the project connects Shepherds Bush, Beirut, Madrid, Newport Wales, Minneapolis, NYC, Kerala, India, Finland, Chile, Contributors include Aaron Landsman, Vic Godard, Ant Hampton, Bouchra Ouizguen, Naoko Tsurudome, Maria jerez, Jon Langford, Sankar Vekateswaran, Charbel Harber, Shadi Noyani, Alf Hofstetter, Sabine Wewer, Yves Nussbaum, George Rush, Nada Gambier, Moulay Youssef Elkahfai, Amir Reza Koohestani, Eisa Jocson, Kristina Horvat Blažinović ...and more.
Places Of Interest will open at the
Theaterspektakel Festival, Zurich on August 20th 2016 and will include a series of short performances linked to the project and the material it generates.
- Concept, Direction, Performance: Phil Hayes
- Assistance & Coordination: Katharina Balzer and Julia Hintermüller
- Production: Lukas Piccolin
A First Cut Productions coproduction with
Theaterspektakel Festival, Zurich